Whether you are heading out to trick or treat with your little ones, or you are just answering the door to the trick or treaters showing up on your doorstep, Halloween is one of those days where an easy meal is necessary. However, you also want the meal to be a little fun, because it is Halloween after all. We did not do anything theme-related here but instead just made a favorite recipe of Chicken Tacos in the crockpot.
This recipe is super easy and can be made early in the day, then dinner is already done as your afternoon starts to get busy. Put out a variety of toppings, and everyone will be happy with their dinner before they dig into the Halloween candy.
- Taco Seasoning (we made our own taco seasoning for this recipe. The packets that can be bought at the store often contain sugar and MSG. It is easy to put your own seasoning together and it can be customized depending on how spicy you like it.)
- 1-2 pounds of boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth or water
- Soft flour or corn tortillas
- Grated cheese
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Black Olives
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions
To make the taco seasoning combine the following:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (if you are using chicken broth I suggest you only use 1/2 teaspoon)
Mix taco seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
Add the small bowl of taco seasonings to the chicken broth or water and combine. Put chicken in crockpot and pour liquid mixture over top.
Cover crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
When crockpot is done shred chicken, warm tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds wrapped in a paper towel, and serve together along with other toppings.
Have a Happy Halloween! May you have lots of treats and no tricks. –May and June