A few weeks ago, I celebrated my birthday. My birthday often makes me reflective. I am neither young enough or old enough to be proud of my age. So let’s just say I celebrated the anniversary of my 29th birthday again. In honor of that, here are 29 truths I have discovered. Not all are easy to remember, but always good to keep in mind.
- All moments in life are temporary. In moments of discomfort or sadness or pain, it is difficult to remember this fact. Some moments in life last longer but eventually time moves forward. The one thing you can count on is change.
- Sometimes the best thing you can do is let go.
- Pizza is always a good choice for dinner.
- Physical activity makes your body stronger and your brain feel better.
- Find laughter. Laughter is good for your soul and also makes your core tighter.
- Don’t compare yourself to others.
- It’s ok if not everyone likes you. Do you like everyone?
- Invite people into your home. No one cares if your home is perfectly decorated or clutter-free. No one cares whether or not you can cook. Extend the gift of hospitality. People are happy to be invited.
- Friday is my favorite day of the week. Monday is my least favorite day of the week.
- Put some effort into your appearance. You don’t have to wear designer or expensive clothes or lots of beauty products. A little effort shows you care about yourself and permits others to respect you.
- Check the weather before you leave the house. There is no reason to be unprepared. The weather forecast is everywhere.
- If you find a style that you love and looks good on you, go with it. You don’t have to follow trends. And it’s ok to wear your favorite pair of pants more than once a week.
- A cup of coffee makes mornings a lot easier.
- Planning ahead makes your life easier to manage.
- Find interests to share with your spouse. Also find interests that are yours alone.
- Food and drinks always taste better when they are enjoyed with family, friends or on a patio.
- Faith is a gift. Like all gifts it takes hard work, but it is amazing for your heart to know there is something bigger than that which can be seen, that you are unique for a reason and miracles happen at every turn.
- Cheese is the most perfect food group.
- Just because you are right doesn’t mean you have to say it.
- Sometimes the only answer is to pray and breathe.
- It’s okay to order a pair of pretty shoes from Zappos to just try them on, and after you admired them on yourself to return them.
- It’s okay if you are still searching for what you want to be when you grow up.
- People cannot read your mind. If something is bothering you, speak up.
- Surround yourself with books, beauty and joy.
- Watching TV is sometimes the perfect escape. You don’t have to be productive or enriching your mind every minute of every day. My guilty pleasure is the Bachelor/Bachelorette shows. Complete drivel and so fantastical.
- Celebrate milestones like birthdays and anniversaries. These days are your own personal holidays. And celebrate even the ordinary days. Buy yourself a little treat whether it be a Starbucks coffee or a bouquet of flowers.
- When you have a lot to do, make a list.
- Always carry a book with you. It makes time spent waiting pass more quickly.
- Accept yourself with all of your gifts and flaws. There is nothing better than being comfortable with who you are.
The years give us experiences and wisdom. So on your birthday celebrate all that you have achieved and the truths that you now know and look with excitement to the future and all that to be still accomplished. –June
God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well. Voltaire